COVID-19 Duty of Care English
COVID-19 Duty of Care
Reference Number: CORP-SI-01
Pursuant to the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations (“the OHSA”), the regulations and directives issued under the Disaster Management Act, as well as the company’s COVID-19 Policy, the company has an ongoing legal obligation and duty of care to ensure the health and safety of its employees. The OHSA also imposes a duty on employees to take reasonable care for their own health and safety and that of other persons who may be affected in the workplace.
Therefore, with immediate effect and in the context of COVID-19, the company is adopting a zero tolerance approach towards any person who undermines the processes implemented to contain the spread and reduce the impact of COVID-19 in our workplaces.
The following transgressions (but not limited to) will be deemed to be acts of gross misconduct, and anyone found guilty of these acts will be summarily dismissed –
- Not complying with legal requirements in terms of the national state of disaster, lockdown and workplace health and safety.
- Acting in violation of the company’s rules, protocols and procedures, especially in terms of measures to prevent transmission of the virus, for example –
- Regular handwashing and sanitising
- The mandatory use of cloth masks and other PPE
- Cleaning and disinfecting of workstations and surfaces
- Social distancing
- Disobeying reasonable and lawful instructions or not cooperating with the company in the interest of health, safety and wellbeing
- Not disclosing symptoms of concern or diagnosis in terms of COVID-19
- Not reporting for training, screening or testing as directed by the company or any other authority
- Knowingly reporting for work or making physical contact with anyone associated with the workplace whilst infected, or suspected of being infected, with the coronavirus
- Sharing confidential or personal information and images outside of the company, including via social media platforms
- Spreading fake news or misinformation
- Abusing sick leave or any other benefit associated with COVID-19
As COVID-19 continues to spread, it is imperative that all our employees work together and behave responsibility in order to sustain a healthy and safe workplace.